Live. Love. Laugh.

Live. Love. Laugh.

Thursday 22 March 2012

Limits of science

Anthony Gottlieb argues that science does not always answer all you questions because at times they have a limit to resolving certain issues.

Anthony Gottlieb, the writer of an article named the "limits of science" which was published in the INTELLIGNT LIFE magazine, writes that a majority of people in this world believe that science is the answer to every question that they have. Now days people have depend so much in science that a lot of people no longer have any faith in something beyond science.

I grew up in Buddhist family, and while my grandparents were very spiritual, my mother was very down to Earth and told me that there is always a balance of nature in what we believe. She always told me that I have the right to believe in whatever I want to and by saying that she gave me a lot of flexibility along with a lot of complexity. I didn't know what to believe in. I knew that science has all the proof that it needs and our religious texts have some things that make no sense at all. I have also seen and encountered a few paranormal activities in middle of some religious ceremonies and that always made me wonder if that is actually something that is more spiritual or just another branch of science that needs more explaining to do.

There is always a limit to science and Gottlieb writes that this can be proven for science has not come up with all the necessary answers needed. For instance how long have scientists and doctors tried to come up with a cure of HIV AIDS? So far they have only succeeded to prolong their lives not cure the virus. Similarly, if science had the answers to everything why are there still so many spiritual groups that do not believe a bit in what science has to say?
I have met people who believe that the almighty has everything to do with the existence of literally everything and I have met some people who think that science is everything and don't have an ounce of faith about anything divine. My friend's cousin had fits sometimes and felt like she got possessed by something paranormal. She was taken to many doctors and psychiatrists all over the world. However, after a lot of failed attempts her grandmother took her to one of the renowned witch doctors in Nepal and surprisingly she got cured after that. We don't know if this had something psychiatric to do with this but all we know is that she got cured by someone religious after a lot of failed attempts by science.

What I meant by that story is that there could be something more than to what we just want to believe or are proven with. Science does have a lot of evidence that it is right but it does not have enough evidence to prove that other faiths are wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment